Dental Implants in Libertyville, IL
A dental implant is an option to replace a missing tooth. In this procedure, a small titanium shaft is surgically implanted into the bone and allowed to set. The bone grows around it forming a tight connection, which additionally slows or stops the bone loss that occurs when the root of a natural tooth is missing. Once the implant is firmly set in the mouth, the dentist then works to attach the replacement tooth onto the top of the shaft. This permanent solution has the advantages over bridge work that it does not stress the surrounding teeth for support, and, should the tooth wear out, another can simply be replaced on the shaft.Implants can also be used as support as part of an implant bridge. This is an alternative to partial dentures, and has several advantages. First, there is no adjustment period to acclimatize the patient who, once the work is done, only feels teeth, not metal supports intruding into the mouth. Second, this slows the bone loss occasioned by missing teeth. Third, there is no discomfort or difficulty in eating. And, best of all, of course, they don’t have to be taken out all the time.We also offer mini dental implants. These implants are about half the diameter of traditional implants are used mainly to stabilize lower dentures. These implants can be placed in one appointment and be immediately used. The cost is 50-70% of standard dental implants. Call for a free consult.
The dental implant procedure
The dental implant treatment is a three-stage procedure. The first stage involves the initial examination, during which the dentist will establish if your bone jaw bone is healthy and can support the implant. If the bone has started to retract, a bone reconstruction surgery can be made to provide additional support for the implant. If the bone is in good condition, the dentist will proceed with inserting a titanium post in the bone socket left empty by the tooth loss. This procedure is done under local anesthesia. Once the post is inserted, the bone and gum tissue will build-up around it, fixing it further in the jaw. The healing period depends on the person, but a complete healing is usually achieved after 6 to 12 weeks.
The second stage involves placing an abutment, a small connection between the crown and the titanium root. Depending on the gap size, the abutment is chosen so to hold best a crown, bridge or a denture. At this stage, the dentist takes impressions of the neighboring and opposite teeth to create the crown or bridge. When the upper part of the implant is ready, you will be called for fitting. Adjustments are made on the spot, and when the crown is felt perfect, it is cemented into place.
A post-implant session may be needed to make sure the healing process is completed successfully.
Advantages of dental implants in Libertyville
- Provides a functional tooth which is connected to the jaw bone;
- Does not affect neighboring teeth;
- Prevents neighboring teeth from moving or distorting because of the tooth gap;
- Is similar in appearance to your natural tooth;
- Improves speech, because a missing tooth may alter your way of speaking;
- Is durable and if taken care properly can last a lifetime;
- Does not need special maintenance, apart from your regular dental hygiene routine.
Dental implants revolutionized modern dentistry. Whether used for single tooth loss or as a support for dental bridges, they are the best option you have to cover those missing teeth. Call your dentist and see how dental implants can change your life!
Types of Dental Implants
Keeping your jaw bone structure in mind, here are four kinds of dental implants to choose from:
- Root Form: It is suggested if the jawbone is good in height, dense and width to hold the round shaped implant. Here, the implant is made of the bone.
- Plate Form: It is suggested if the jawbone is of good height and dense, but lacks the necessary width. Here the implant is placed in the bone but is placed at another place than the original root.
- Subperiosteal form: It is suggested if the jawbone lacks the required height, width, and density to support an implant. It is done under the gum tissues.
Contact our office to learn more about dental implants in Libertyville.